Tuesday, June 21, 2011

NO TO DENGUE THE DEET-FREE WAY

I take dengue seriously.

Two years ago, we had to cut our Boracay trip short because both of my daughters were suffering from high grade fever. After getting a flight back to Manila on a 19-seater plane (an experience that I would not want to repeat), we went straight to the ER. My firstborn had to stay at the hospital for 10 days, 5 of which were spent in the ICU. The younger one, thank God, had a milder strain and was sent home after 3 days.  

So yes, I take dengue seriously.

For this rainy season, I've discovered the following all-natural citronella-based, DEET-free insect repellent products that really work! My children are using them when going outdoors and even inside the house.

Human Nature Citronella Bug Spray

Ingredients: virgin coconut oil, organic citronella oil, organic lemongrass, essential oil together with rosemary and lavender essential oils

Pros: 
  • effective (I tried using it in a place where there were lots of mosquitoes and it really worked!)
  • cheap (PhP84.75 for a 50 ml bottle)
  • leaves the skin really soft and glowing
  • a small amount goes a long, long way
  • 100% of the profit from this product will fund the development of sustainable livelihood of poor Filipino farmers!
Cons: 
  • it is oil-based so it is a little messy to apply 
  • my 8 and 6 year old daughters find it hard to press the pump
  • strong citronella smell (but you get used to it!)

Human Nature Bug Shield Lotion

Ingredients: citronella oil, sunflower oil, coconut oil, lemongrass oil, lavender oil (and alcohol that is plant-derived)

Pros:
  • effective
  • cheap (PhP79.75 for a 50 ml bottle)
  • leaves the skin really soft
  • milder and fresher scent compared to the Bug Spray
  • easy to apply, non-sticky
  • 100% of the profit from this product will fund the development of sustainable livelihood of poor Filipino farmers! 
Cons:
  • unlike the oil-based Bug Spray, the 50-ml bottle of Bug Shield lotion does not go a long, long way (or it may be because I'm using it too often, what with its clean, fresh scent!)
Since the oil-based Bug Spray is cheaper to use in the long run, my children use it more often than the Bug Shield. The latter is used as a back-up. I make sure that my children always bring a bottle of Bug Shield with them for purposes of re-application whenever needed.  


For my baby, I use this Indigo Baby Shoo Fly Don't Bother Me lotion.

Ingredients: Aloe Vera Gel, Witch Hazel, Triple Distilled Water, Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils (Rose, Lavender, Geranium, Citronella & Eucalyptus)

Pros:
  • effective
  • smells wonderful
  • non-sticky
  • leaves baby's skin soft
  • I just love it! :)
Cons:
  • a little expensive at PhP180 for a 60 ml bottle (but it's worth it!)

This rainy season, we will keep the mosquitoes away the natural way!


Note: I paid for all the products that I mentioned here. I do not know any of the sellers personally.

 
Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...